Trying to lose fat or increase your energy .... Lentils!
I realised that here in Australia very few people know about it and have tried lentils in their lives. I couldn't believe it. I grew up eating it and for me is one of the best legumes of all, not only for its nutritive benefits but also can also be very tasty and unique flavours.
One of the things I like about lentils is that it is so easy and cheap to find all the year around. Because they are sold dried or in a tin most of the time, the shelf-life is over 1 year. I always recommend buy organic if possible - which is available at Woolworths, Coles and Aldo for the exact same price as non-organic!
As a nutritionist and healthy chef I love using lentils in my dishes. Here are some good points and benefits about lentils:
- Low GI and much better for your glycaemia or 'blood sugar' control than other starchy carbohydrates.
- Lentils are wholesome and intact, no refining or processing. That is great because is full of fiber (soluble and insoluble)
- Very nutritive - source of nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, minerals (iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium and other trace minerals)
- Alkaline legume and source of protein
- Quick, easy and versatile to prepare and cook it
- Great substitute of starchy carbs
- Awesome energy food for active people and athletes
Here is a quick example of a nice, healthy and delicious lentil recipe:
300g of cooked french lentil or any other lentil that you prefer
1 lime, juice
1 avocado, cut in small cubes
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
1 or 2 garlic cloves crushed
Basil - to your liking - chopped
1 chilli, optional
2 teaspoon of salt, celtic or rock salt
2 tablespoon of olive oil
Add all together - hardest recipe ever!! ENJOY!!