How to lose fat effectively, safely and intelligently
As you probably have seem today there are millions of people overweight in the world and it is now one of the biggest threats to public health system. Every year billions of dollars are spent on research, product development and medicine to people that are suffering from obesity and health issues caused by it. Excess of weight and body fat can implicate in many health issues, speed up diseases and reduce life expectancy. It is estimated that by 2020 one third of the world will be overweight and on the path to obesity.
As a nutritionist, personal trainer and healthy chef I always look for ways to help people to get back on shape and to take control of their health. I have been overweight myself and I understand how it feels to have excess fat and not have a fit and healthy body. That is why for years, since I decided to study nutrition, I have loved working with people with similar issues.
In this chapter I want to teach you feel things that I have learned during these years and how can you lose fat effectively, safely and intelligently, without harming the body or compromising your health. So here goes:
- Look forward to consume foods that are wholesome and not refined. By substituting processed foods for unprocessed you not only get the benefits to get more nutrients out of it but also reduce your chances to consume excess chemicals, sugars and fats added to the products. This is probably the best and most important step to take
- Drink more water, specially filtered and non-acidic water such as tap water. By filtering the water and alkalinizing it you reduce your intake of several chemicals in the water and also reduce toxins accumulations and water retention. Remember: water is the main fluid of our body and the most important thing to help us stay healthy
- Eat more vegetables, specially the non-starchy ones such as green leaves, broccoli, cabbage, tomato, carrots, cucumber, capsicum, onions, etc. Avoid excess consumption of starchy vegetables like potato, corn, cassava and pumpkin, especially at night time meals. It contains more carbohydrate, which is converted into sugars, so just be aware of them at certain times of the day. If you consume it aim to get them in after exercises and during the day where you tend to be more active
- Cut down on any refined sugar that you have added to your meals and products with it. Refined sugar is not beneficial to health and can be easily transformed in blood sugar, which will spike your insulin hormone (anabolic hormone) and reduce your changes to burn body fat, plus increase your chances to develop diabetes later in life
- Have more healthy fats such as avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, seeds and nuts in your meals daily and reduce as much as you can, or complete eliminate unhealthy fats like margarine, vegetable oils, fried foods and trans-fats. They are not beneficial to nobody and can increase your changes to put body fat on and develop cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer
- Focus on the fresh produce that you find in farmer’s markets as your main source of food. It is a fantastic way to guarantee good nutrition and also to increase energy, health and wellbeing
- Reduce or eliminate energy dense foods and extra calories from such that are not nutritive such as soft drinks, candy, ice cream, cake, cookies, biscuit, chocolate bars and any product that you may find not beneficial to your health. Sometimes by eliminating those products from the daily routine helps significantly to reduce your waist and body fat percentage
- Have a good selection of ingredients and colourful fresh foods in your plate every day. The more colours you get the more changes you have to absorb different vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals (plant chemicals), which are excellent anti-ageing nutrients
- Consume protein in your diet regularly. Foods such as beans, seeds, nuts, dairy, eggs, fish, chicken and meat are well know to have benefits during a weight loss program. Be careful with excess of it and try to keep it one portion (about one fistful), no more, per meal everyday. Protein as essential to multiple functions in the body and also help control appetite and increase fat burning
- Have a meal or snack every 3-4 hours and try to have between 3-5 meals a day. By having regularly small snacks you keep hunger at bay and also promote an increase in your metabolism due to the thermic effect of food during digestion, which will help you burn more body fat faster